Among the things we were told:
She is very smart and is not afraid to push herself.
She recognizes all of her letters in both capital and lowercase, but occasionally messes up lowercase b's and d's still.
She is writing all of her letters. And lots of words.
She counts and writes over 110. Can count by 2's, and 5's, and 10's to 100.
She recognizes 16 of the 25 sight words she needs to know by the end of the year, and is writing them too. She has the other ones as her daily spelling words now, so will know them in no time!
She is past the pre-emergent level of reading, and is already in emergent which is where she should be at the end of this year. She does not doubt Kaya will be beyond this level soon.
They do daily topic books, which we got to look at tonight for the 1st time. I love that! :) Anyway, Kaya is doing awesome with it! One of the teachers, her main teacher, pushes her a little harder I think. A lot of the kids copy the example the teacher gives to write about everyday, but the one teacher encourages Kaya to make her own idea because she knows Kaya can do it.
She aced the tests on shapes, sizes, opposites, rhyming, etc. 100% on all of them.
We were told she is one of her highest assessing kindergartners right now in every subject and that she is working with the 1st graders daily.
So... moral of that is, academically Kaya is soaring! We are just thrilled about it too!
Now... the rest of the moral...
With her smarts, came her quirks too. As all of us have 'em right?!
We were told:
She interrupts constantly while the teacher is trying to give directions. She actually used the words: rude and disrespectful. She says that is what she tells Kaya when she interrupts. More power to her I guess!
She also said that Kaya is bossy to her friends. Not mean, but bossy.
On the same lines of interrupting, Kaya likes to talk. We all know that! It is all she does. Well, it's at school too! To the point where the teacher told us that kids tell her she talks too much and to be quiet. Poor girl gets yelled at from all directions, all day long, from the sounds of it! :(
So, I guess if that's the worst she can tell us I am thrilled! She might have a mouth on her, but she's got a head on her too. :) I am so proud to be her momma and would take her any way she came. We love her to pieces and could not imagine her any other way. We now have some things to re-talk about and work on, and we also know where to push her to keep soaring! And, I sure hope she figures out soon how to be a good friend and quit bossing people around. That really makes me sad. I want my girl to have some friends. :( I guess if not, I will certainly be her best friend for life! Amen to that!
So, I guess if that's the worst she can tell us I am thrilled! She might have a mouth on her, but she's got a head on her too. :) I am so proud to be her momma and would take her any way she came. We love her to pieces and could not imagine her any other way. We now have some things to re-talk about and work on, and we also know where to push her to keep soaring! And, I sure hope she figures out soon how to be a good friend and quit bossing people around. That really makes me sad. I want my girl to have some friends. :( I guess if not, I will certainly be her best friend for life! Amen to that!
And some of my favorite pics from her 5 year photo session:


No comments:
Post a Comment